Dear OAG supporter,
As someone who believes in and strives towards social justice, you know how important it is to empower those individuals who feel an injustice is being committed to speak up. I’m asking you to consider speaking up for the people of Jeju Island, South Korea, who are at this moment resisting the building of a naval base on their island, which will destroy marine habitat, endanger their safety, and generally promote the use of military force and retaliation. For more information, visit www.space4peace.org.
If you would like to support the people of Jeju Island in protecting their island from military development, I ask you to consider taking one or more of the actions here stated:
- Participate in the hunger strike for a day or more, and email Bruce Gagnon, Coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space, so he can add you to the list of those in solidarity: [email protected]
- Call the nearest South Korean embassy/consulate and tell them to stop the Navy base and to release Yang from prison.
- Join the Facebook group “No Naval Base on Jeju!” to get regular updates from the villagers.
- Email South Korean officials:
- Island Governor (Mr. Woo Keun-Min, Governor, The Government of Jeju-do, REPUBLIC OF KOREA, [email protected]),
- President (Mr. Lee Myung-Bak, President, Republic of Korea, [email protected]),
- Defense Minister (Mr. Kim Kwan-Jin, Minister, Ministry of National Defense, REPUBLIC OF KOREA [email protected])
Thank you for your support,
Whitman College ’14 and Eastern WA Regional Coordinator for the Cascade Climate Network (cascadeclimate.org)